People who keep their noses to the grindstone have very little information to pass on

Notes from Alexis: Laughing out loud about printer problems, and getting her first apology from my Dad. Now that makes you stop and think.




Dearest Lex,


Please notice the nice paper and the line spacing and all kinds of good things just like real typing. Have you noticed that the font is exactly the same as the Blue Rose (the typewriter)? That pleased me enormously because I liked that font very much.


How have you been? Fine I hope. We saw that you are getting snow, at least Eugene has been, but I don’t know about Paradise Hill. We got a dump yesterday and today of about 6-8 inches and then the wind blew and piled it up, but it is warmer today so it should melt soon.


I have been watching Star Trek, hoping to see the show that Leslie Parrish-Bach was in (Who Honors Adonis?) I call it research, watching one on Saturday and one on Sunday, but Dad calls me a Trekie. What you and I need is a transporter so we could beam over to each other and have lunch. Two hundred miles is a whole lot of miles to go for lunch, but once in a while I really need to have lunch with you. Like the other day, I was working with the computer and printer and what I was getting was really strange. The printer would print three lines on the paper, then shoot out about three sheets of that horrid yellow stuff and then three more lines, and I couldn’t for the life of me figure out what to do about it.


I told Dad about it, and I just about had hysterics in the telling. I laughed so hard, but Dad just sat there without any emotion and saying nothing. He failed to see the humor and boy, did my fun evaporate quickly. Then he said, “Well, it looks to me like you could have done it on a typewriter quicker and easier.”


That really burned me up so I told him, “You should be proud of me. Instead of having a nervous breakdown, I have been laughing and having fun. I know very well that I did something wrong, and as soon as I figure out what I did, I will remedy it.”


He went out and sulked in the greenhouse, and then he came in and apologized for being so cold about it all. I consider that a real breakthrough for him, and it is the first time in 28 years that he has done such a thing. He said it was just that he was so burned on computers. I told him that he was burned because what he is expecting is a whole lot out of people (as in me) when operating computers, when I don’t know what I am doing. (Of course, that is no consolation when he is the sufferer).


Little J. had an interesting experience. He got hold of a nose spray, and got some in his mouth, so P. called the poison control, and they told her that the brand he had swallowed was deadly to little kids his age, so she took him to the hospital and they (P. and Little J.) spent the night there until 2:30 pm the next afternoon. They said that the brand she had, caused high blood pressure in little kids, and that just two drops could be lethal. And to think we put that stuff in our noses. Gives one pause, doesn’t it? He is just fine now.


Tonight will he our last class in computers and I will get a certificate, which I certainly think I deserve, as this has been very hard for me to work on the computer all day, and then go to class. Of course, just going to class is hard for me.


Well, guess I will close for now. People who keep their noses to the grindstone have very little information to pass on. I expect to be able to get back to writing soon, and it will be about time. Chapters are coming into my head fast and furious, but they are not going onto the paper at all. Will write more, later.